Call for Submissions
Exhibition at Satellite Project Space
Satellite Project Space is seeking submissions of artworks that explore the aesthetics and experiences of girlhood for a group exhibition. Rosy cheeks, naivety, blood and tears; the experience of girlhood is a dizzying concoction of intense emotions and formative events. What signals the beginning and end of girlhood; does it ever really end? What does growing up feel like; what does it look, sound and taste like? Why is girlhood marked by both sweetness and melancholy? Are girls born with pain built in? Is girlhood the loss or embrace of innocence? Is there a softness and fragility to this experience? Or is it rough and rigid? Why do we romanticize youth and teenage adolescence? Why do we stop dreaming as we age; where do our ambitions go? Who do we become when we are no longer girls? Daughters, sisters, wives, mothers?
Deadline: Sunday, October 24, 2022
– Up to two pieces per artist, in any media (painting, sculpture, photography, video, etc.), may be submitted.
– Please include a statement (150 words max) that discusses your submission and how it relates to the theme of the exhibition, along with the title, size and medium of your piece.*
– Artist biography (150 words max).*
– Documentation of the work (images, videos, or linked media).*
– Instagram handle
– Personal website
How to Submit
– Please send all submissions to Kaede Kusano at the email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Girlhood Exhibition Submission”
– For drawing, painting, or photography submissions, please send a high-resolution .jpeg of your artwork.
– For works of sculpture, please send sufficient documentation of the entire work (multiple photos acceptable).
– For video works, submissions will be accepted in the format of QuickTime files. Files larger than 25MB should be submitted using wetransfer.com.
– Please submit any questions or inquiries to email@example.com.
– This exhibit will be curated by Kaede Kusano, a Satellite Project Space intern.
– The exhibit will be on view at Satellite Project Space from Tuesday, December 6th, 2022 to Saturday, December 10th, 2022.
– We are looking for submissions of finished work (completed by October 24, 2022).
– Selected artists will be notified a week after the above stated deadline (approximately October 31, 2022).